Unidentified Radio Douala recordings (including Ambasse bey!!) and other stuff



Today, another post featuring unlabelled recordings, a batch of beautiful tracks from Cameroun.  These songs were recorded by Radio Douala, probably in the late 1960s or early 1970s.  I copied these recordings from the master reel and used to have the track listing.  Unfortunately, my CD-R copy and the track listing were separated in one of our moves.  I can no longer remember who is featured on this reel.  I am relatively certain that this is a reel of music from southern Cameroun, there are a few tracks of a female vocal group accompanied with gongs, and over a dozen tracks of acoustic guitar groups.  Several of the selections feature a lovely Ambasse Bey group.  This style was popular in Douala in the 1950s and 1960s and is one of the precursors of Makossa.

Download Radio Douala unidentified reels 

We are once again packing up the house, and I thought I would share a few pieces of music ephemera that I just found in a box. First, a picture of my friend and mentor Leo Sarkisian in Ghana, recording a live performance by Koo Nimo for his Voice of America program Music Time in Africa.  To Leo's right is Rita Rochelle, the longest serving host of the program, a voice loved by a generation of the VOA's African listeners.


In Dakar, in the early 1990s, at many busy intersections, there would be a young man selling pictures, of popular artists, religious leaders, and sports stars.  The pictures would be tacked to a plywood board, leaning against a building.  This is just one of the informal hustles that has disappeared from the streets of Dakar, rendered obsolete by cell phones.  I would often pick up a few pictures.  I have lost most of them but just found these.

    Kiné Lam and Youssou N'Dour performing before a wrestling match

 Early 1990s portrait of Youssou N'Dour

 The great wrestler Mohammed Ndao aka Tyson, entering the arena under the picture of El Haj Ibrahim Niass

In 1993-1994, there were a dozen groups performing every weekend in Dakar.  I would try and see two or three groups every week.  If Youssou N'Dour and the Super Etoile were performing they were my first choice.  I saw the group perform a few dozen times, at the Kilimanjaro club overlooking the bay of Soumbedioune, at Youssou's Thiossane nightclub, at the Theatre National Daniel Sorano, and at a stadium show.  My favorite club was the Kiliminjaro. There was a small window behind the stage that the band kept open, to let in some air, and you could see the reflection of the moon off the water in the bay behind the club.  The best show I saw there was a celebration of Youssou N'Dour's 34th birthday.  The evening started with a set by Assane Thiam's group (Thiam is the Super Etoile's tama player).  The group featured five tama players and tore the place up.  Their set was followed by Youssou N'Dour and the Super Etoile.  They played until 5am.  

  
My musical weekend would often start on Thursday nights seeing Lemzo Diamono perform at the Thiossane.  I was lucky to see one of the group's best lineups, under the leadership of guitar player Lamine Faye (brother of Super Etoile bassist Habib Faye), the band featured the vocal frontline of Fallou Dieng, Alioune Mbaye N'Der and Mada Ba. At some of the shows the group would also be joined by Salam Diallo, who would destroy the dance floor with his Rek Rek Boudian .

 
Another of my favorite spots was the Sunset Sahel, located in the back parking lot of a supermarket.  For much of 1994, Thione Seck held court at the club, performing every weekend.  It was a small place with a decent sound system and a worn wooden dancefloor.  The club would occasionally feature Soiree Sénégalaise, an evening of sabar drumming and dancing.  I would try and go whenever Thio Mbaye's group was performing.  In 1993 his cassette Rimbax was a massive hit.  At the time he also held the percussion chair in the Super Diamono.






One of the orchestras I would have most loved to see was the Tout Puissant O.K. Jazz.  I didn't see them when they performed in the United States in 1983, but I do have a copy of the program guide they distributed at their shows in the US.  The guide was written in French and English.  Here it is for your reading pleasure.  



I would love to hear from you if you can help identify or provide more information on the Radio Douala recordings.  Enjoy! 


Comments

  1. As always, thanks for sharing. Those old pictures and posters are so cool, they're like souvenirs from a disappearing world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment