Ntita Albert Lubumbula: the Bukebi-Kebi singles

Back in 2011, I had the good fortune to meet Papa Ntita Albert Lubumbula, a very talented musician who then lived on the ouskirts of Mbuji-Mayi.  Papa Albert's career took off in the late 1950s when he was brought to Kinshasa by Nikiforos Cavvadias to record for the Editions Ngoma.  By the time I met Papa Albert he was in his early eighties and his gigs were few and far between.  He was struggling to support his family.  I outlined Papa Albert's story in this post and featured a long recording I made of him in this post.



Today's post features Papa Albert's recorded output on the Bukebi-Kebi label.  In the early 1980s, Papa Albert recrded six 45s for the Kinshasa label.  I don't understand Tshiluba but I think most of these songs have religious themes.  The music is lovely and relaxed, acoustic guitar and percussion with several voices.


Download Ntita Albert Lubumbula

As always, I hope you enjoy these recordings as much as I do.

 

Comments

Post a Comment