Yoro Dioulde, Fulani flutes


The Fuuta Jaloo is reputed to be the most beautiful region in Guinee.

I haven't seen enough of Guinee to confidently confirm this assertion, but I have listened to enough Guinean music to be convinced that the Fuuta Jaloo is home to some of Guinee's most beautiful music. I discovered Guinean music in the early 1990s, when I was living in Dakar. My neighborhood fruit vendor was from the Fuuta Jaloo. If he was working, he was listening to music on his cassette player. He had a collection of cassettes that he rotated through, day after day, night after night. I bought enough fruit that I started to recognize his favorites.

My favorite was a cassette of percussion, vocals, and flute. I tried, in vain, to borrow the cassette and dub it. I tried to buy it. My fruit vendor wouldn't part with his cassette. So instead I pestered Dakar's cassette vendors for recordings of Fulani flutes. I eventually found what I wanted.

I am not certain that Yoro Dioulde is from the Fuuta Jaloo, but I am certain that he is Fulani, and that this is the style of music I heard night after night while buying mangoes. Percussion (calabashes or castanets), flutes, and a great singer.



Download Yoro Dioulde - Fulani flutes

For a studio recording of similar music, have a listen to this fantastic cassette.

Over the last two days I have been listening to this Yoro Dioulde cassette and the new Horse Lords release, one after the other, over and again. Each makes the other tastier, like butter and honey.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for this. Here's another tape of Guinean flute folk music in case you haven't heard it yet:

    http://wassoulou.blogspot.com/2010/04/k7-13-gobou-woleto_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from locked down California. Thanks for the share. I'm digging the Horse Lords too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment